Type of Surgery
Last updated: 11/24/2009
The hemodialysis patient should expect needle insertion in the AV fistula at every dialysis session. Patients who prefer to insert their own needles or who perform dialysis at home will need training, and all patients will have to learn how to avoid...
infection and to protect vascular access. Because vascular access problems can lead to treatment failure, the AV fistula requires regular care to make dialysis easier and to help avoid clots, infection, and other complications. Patients can help protect the access by:
- Making sure the access is checked before each treatment.
- Not allowing blood pressure to be taken on the access arm.
- Checking the pulse in the access every day.
- Keeping the access clean at all times.
- Using the access site only for dialysis.
- Being careful not to bump or cut the access.
- Not wearing tight jewelry or clothing near or over the access site.
- Not lifting heavy objects or putting pressure on the access arm.
- Sleeping with the access arm free, not under the head or body.
This narrated 3D animation shows how a glaucoma surgery is performed, specifically a trabeculectomy. While the video is incredibly detailed and thorough, it does contain anatomical, surgical, and medical terms throughout. Glaucoma is a disease in which too much fluid and, by extension, pressure builds up inside the eye. A trabeculectomy is one type of glaucoma surgery that improves fluid outflow from the eye and reduces intraocular (inside the eye) pressure.
An arteriovenous fistula is an abnormal connection or passageway between an artery and a vein. It may be congenital, surgically created for hemodialysis treatments, or acquired due to pathologic process, such as trauma or erosion of an arterial aneurysm.
In 2006, 2,192 heart transplantations were performed in the United States. There are 257 transplant hospitals in the United States, 135 of which perform heart transplantations. (http://www.unos.org/)
Find a Qualified Specialist
Looking for a specialist?
Please enter your zip code.