Type of Surgery


Doctor Certified

Last updated: 02/17/2009


Hydroceles are found in male children or adult males (usually over 40). They have no known association with a man's ethnic background or lifestyle factors.

2. Purpose



Other Information

Hydrocelectomy is a surgical procedure to remove a hydrocele. A hydrocele is collected fluid in the membrane surrounding the testes.

Hydrocelectomy is performed to relieve the pain or reoccurrence of a hydrocele. Normally, hydroceles are not very painful. They tend to be a soft swelling in the membrane surrounding the testes. As the hydrocele grows, the scrotum gets larger. Hydroceles do not damage the testes. The main symptom is scrotal swelling. There are two types of hydroceles depending on how they form. One type is seen in children, generally shortly after birth. It is caused by a failure of the processus vaginalis to close. Usually, surgery isn't used to treat hydrocele until after two years of age because the processus vaginalis frequently closes by itself if given extra time. In adults, hydroceles develop slowly. Most hydroceles develop because of blocked lymphatic flow. Hydroceles also develop after infection, injury, or local cancer tumors. Generally, hydroceles are treated by aspiration of the collected fluid. To do this, a needle is inserted into the scrotum and directed toward the hydrocele. Once there, as much fluid as possible is removed. Hydroceles can reoccur. Rarely, hydroceles grow larger and cause pain. Surgery is used to remove large or painful hydroceles. It is also the recommended procedure to remove hydroceles that reoccur after aspiration. Hydroceles are distinguished from other testicular problems by transillumination and scrotal ultrasound examinations.

From http://www.lifesteps.com/gm/Atoz/ency/hydrocelectomy.jsp

Other Information

In 2000, the estimated number of doctor visits and outpatient hospital visits by patients aged 20 or older with UTI or cystitis listed as a diagnosis was of 8.27 million visits (1.41 million men; 6.86 million women) with UTI as the primary diagnosis.


Find a Qualified Specialist

Looking for a specialist?

Please enter your zip code.