Type of Surgery


Doctor Certified

Last updated: 02/17/2009


An omphalocele is a congenital defect in which internal organs such as the liver, stomach, and intestines, are on the outside of the abdomen, at the umbilical cord, instead of being located inside the body. These abdominal cavity contents are enclosed...

in a thin, transparent, membranous sac that is actually formed inside the umbilical cord tissue. An omphalocele repair is a surgical procedure in which the organs are returned to the inside of the body, and the opening in the abdominal wall is closed. Whenever possible, a normal-looking belly button is created.

2. Purpose



Other Information


Omphalocele repair is surgery to repair a birth defect in which all or parts of the small intestine, liver, and large intestine stick outside of the abdomen.

For information on the condition itself, see: Omphalocele


The procedure is similar to gastroschisis repair.

The goal of surgery is to place the abdominal organs back into the body and to repair the defect, if possible. If this can not be done immediately, a sac is created to hold and protect the intestines, which are slowly pushed back into the abdomen over a few weeks.

Immediately after delivery, the baby's exposed organs are covered with warm, moist, sterile dressings. A nasogastric (NG) tube is inserted through the baby's nose or mouth into the stomach to keep the stomach empty. This prevents choking and breathing stomach contents into the lungs.

While the baby is under general anesthesia (asleep, no pain), the surgeon makes a cut to remove the sac surrounding the organs. The intestine is examined closely for signs of damage or additional birth defects. Damaged or defective parts are removed and the healthy edges are stitched together.

A tube may be inserted into the stomach and out through the skin.

Additional surgery may be needed to repair the abdominal muscles at a later time.

From http://pennhealth.com/ency/article/002938.htm

Other Information

An obstetrician/gynecologist, commonly abbreviated as OB/GYN, can serve as a primary physician and often serve as consultants to other physicians.

From: womenshealthchannel.com

Find a Qualified Specialist

Looking for a specialist?

Please enter your zip code.